Friday, August 28, 2009

The Moon

Our homeschooling advisor just turned us on to this site: My Moon Visually fun and full of dohinkies to click, it's worth a look.

I've researched various aspects of lunar study since beginning my manuscript. The moon is a pivotal "character" in the story. The lives of the villains revolve around moon phases. Their title, "Fir Na Gealei" is Irish Gaelic for "Men of The Moon."

In moonlight of that fact, I'll post a lunar quiz.

1. Does the moon rotate on its axis?

2. How long is the moon's synodic month?

3. If your brain weighs 3 pounds on Earth, how much will it weigh on the moon?

4. How big is the moon?

5. What's the word for an alignment of the sun, Earth, and either the moon or a planet?

6. On the day of which blogger's birth was Apollo 13 supposed to land on the moon?


Answers:
1. Yes
2. about 29.53 days
3. .49 pounds
4. about 2,000 miles across
5. syzygy
6. mine! April 13, 1970 (does that make me bad luck?)

2 comments:

Allie Thompson said...

I love the quiz! Other than the numbers, I got most answers correct. Allie

Amanda The Semi-Published said...

Great. You win one genuine virtual howl.
Aaawwwwooooooooooo!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...