Thursday, September 3, 2009


Why is Harry Potter like Jane Eyre and Mina (from Dracula)?
How is Snape like Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights)?
In Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books Behind the Hogwarts Adventures, John Granger explores the various genres through which the Harry Potter series scampers.

Granger shows how Harry Potter is a boarding-school-gothic-horror-postmodern epic, among many other things. His book is a comprehensive literary critique that would make for a fun springboard text for a literature class that just begs for an insanely varied course book list including titles such as- Pilgrim's Progress, Plato's Republic, The Divine Comedy, Sense and Sensibility, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The list would go on and on.

I picked up Harry Potter's Bookshelf for a bit of light reading, but found a treasure. While it won't create the elixer of life, it's become dear to the reader, the writer, and the Harry Potter fan in me.

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Sounds neat! and the author's a Granger, so I'm sure it's smart.

Amanda The Semi-Published said...

LOL Yeah, he was born to write about Harry Potter.

Travener said...

I like to remind myself how many agents and publishers turned down Harry Potter.

Amanda The Semi-Published said...

We just have to say
"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I-I-I FRIGGIN' THINK I CAN!!!" :o

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...