Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bread & Butter Books

At our house we nearly always have bread on the table at dinner. Sometimes it's muffins, other times it's tortillas, once in a while crackers, but typically it's bread. Sourdough is my husband's favorite. In some homes rice is always on the table at dinner. I had dinner at a friend's once where they served spaghetti with marinara sauce with a side of rice. I thought it unusual, but maybe my bread obsession is what's crazy.

Recently my dad had knee surgery. (Trust me, I'm not flying off topic. It'll all come together.) My mom brought a book with her to the hospital to pass the time- I believe it was Northanger Abbey. She said she just stared at it blankly. She loves reading, but couldn't concentrate. I told her she should have brought a book she'd read a giga-billion times.

Do you have a book that is like bread and butter to you? Like a warm blanket? You can pick it up, turn to any page, and the words are as familiar as a long time friend?

That's the sort of book to bring to the hospital, one that you've already invested yourself in and no longer takes effort to read. When you're waiting in a hospital, your emotions can make you kinda spacey.

I'd like to tell you that my "bread & butter" book is the Bible. There are certain passages, to be sure. But it's actually Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. I think something of Neil Gaiman's could become one, but I'd have to actually settle on one book and I'm still in the new love flush of discovery with him. Then there's The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. While not as bread & buttery as Dirk, that is to say, it's not imprinted on my brain, I could easily open it to any page and confidently take a bite. I have one or two others, but I'd rather hear from you. :)

2 comments:

Rasmenia said...

I am loving this term, "bread & butter books".

I think that I would be content to stare at the pages of just about any Vonnegut or Kerouac book. They're full of bread & buttery goodness for me. ;)

Also, I'm feeling a bit full just thinking of spaghetti with a side of rice. Holy carb madness, Batman.

Cheers!

Amanda B. said...

Mmm, I do find Vonnegut pretty darn yummy. Haven't tasted Kerouac yet.

If you eat too many carbs, I wonder if you are carbonated. :p

Thanks for coming to my blog, Rasmenia. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...