Saturday, March 20, 2010

Script Frenzy

Script Frenzy is starting April first. This is sister to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). In Script Frenzy you write... (now, I'm going to say something obvious) a script. Or you may write a graphic novel. Now that got my spidey senses tingling.

So I've dug up some info on graphic novel script writing. Here are some sample scripts by Joe Edkin. Here's the script format that Dark Horse Comics uses. I found that here.

There is software that is designed specifically for script writing, though I haven't explored that. I have explored my local library and found some neat books on writing comics and graphic novels. There is apparently a standard jargon used in graphic novel scripting that one must know to signal to to artist and/or colorist what the writer wants.

Anywhoo, I'm still undecided about doing Script Frenzy, but if I do, I think it'll be a graphic novel.

3 comments:

karabu said...

So if you write a graphic novel for this thing, do you do the drawings as well? Most graphic novels I've seen don't have all that much actual written words, so writing just the words for one doesn't seem like as much of a challenge as NaNoWriMo. I'm not gonna do one, just curious. Maybe there's more involved than I realize.

Y.F.N. Palindrome aka Hannah said...

I don't write scripts but it sounds like fun! I'm currently doing 50K/50 days...that'll take up my time.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hi Kara, no, one doesn't do the art too. Though, one could. I happen to suck when it comes to drawing. For a graphic novel, one must describe what goes in each panel. I guess, since they include them in the challenge, that they must equate to a 100 page script.

I'm glancing at Hellboy: The Wild Hunt. Story by Mike Mignola. Art by Duncan Fegredo. He's very good, by the way. If you're going to read a Hellboy with art by someone other than Mignola, he's your man. Anyway, some pages only have 3 panels, some as many as 7. Hmm. You're not going to be writing a page worth of description about a three panel page. I see what you mean...

Hi Hannah. Oh, yeah, with 50K, you're super busy. I'm completely failed at NaNo. I only just began that novel, and will need to rip up most of what I wrote.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...