Monday, March 1, 2010

World Building

I'm having a blast at my virtual writers conference. I'm learning stuff I didn't know that I didn't know about blogging, queries, writing thrillers, action scenes (boy do I need work there), typology, world building, and on and on. It'll be weeks before I fully absorb everything I'm learning!

I'm "attending," author, Karina Fabian's constructive workshop forum on fiction world building for science fiction and fantasy. She reminds us to consider such things as how two moons will affect the tides, not to mention the werewolves. (Scary thought.)

The workshop is forcing me to think concretely about the new world I'm constructing through a series of short stories in progress on my hard drive, sundry scraps of paper, and in various recesses of my brain. They're set in a future alternative steampunk California in perpetual drought. (We pretty much already are in perpetual drought here in California, it seems.) So, I only have the one moon and the people are human, but we do have the occasional mythical creature cropping up.

Up until now, I've been flying by the seat of my pants about this world I'm building. I've always been a pantster when it comes to writing. Now, I'm pinning myself down, at least about the elements of my world, if not the stories themselves. What is in this new California? Why are they there? Not every story will have every element, but at least they won't contradict one another. This little crop of California stories are multiplying at a rapid rate. I hope to have something to show you soon.


6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Oooh, steampunk! Sounds like fun to write, and that is always the best. :)

Amanda B. said...

Lots of fun! :)
It makes me wish I was an artist. I'd love to see what's in my head on paper. Sometimes it's tough to describe in words.

Karen Denise said...

Sounds like a good class. I love when things make me look at the world I'm building in a different light.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yeah, Karina Fabian's great at thinking of everything. She's created worlds with fairies, zombies, elves. LOL

She's a good teacher too. She pushes us to explain everthing to be sure it makes sense, so our readers won't question it. Fantasy still must give a sense of believability.

Karina Fabian said...

Hi. I'm so glad the workshop is helping you think your story--and that it's generating more stories besides. I have the same thing happen in my DragonEye world. Isn't it fun?

Blessings,
Karina
www.dragoneyepi.net
www.fabianspace.com

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Super fun, Karina. :) It's also challenging, but in a good way.

((Oh wow, Karina Fabian visited my blog. I'm unworthy. I'm unworthy!))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...