Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stephen King, Crayfish, and Awards

First off, a big thank you to Mohamed Mughal of Thoughts and Ponderings for the award. I feel so special to be showered in awards. And I sure need the boost lately! :) If you haven't checked out his blog yet, go on over. You won't be sorry. It's always a good read.

I perused Stephen King's, On Writing, and found some juicy morsels. It's a worth a look if you are inclined. My ears perked up when he talked about adopting styles similar to what you are reading at various times and then melding them all until you develop your own unique style. But he advises to always read widely and constantly refine your own work as you do.

When I first began writing, I did indeed find myself writing like whomever Iwas reading. I thought that was called cheating. LOL Oh, I was supposed to do that? Good!

Unfortunately, my one true publishing success, "Letty," isn't like anything I ever wrote before or since. I composed it with a Gothic Lovecraftian wordiness. I don't know, maybe that's what the world wants. It does not appear to want my usual style.

Hmm... Maybe it simply wants photos of crayfish...
Here are a few we snapped this morning at the creek.


We don't keep them. We just catch them and let them go. The creek isn't running this time of year so it's STINKY!

7 comments:

karabu said...

The world will come around to loving all your stories. Keep bugging them.

Ted Cross said...

I love On Writing and have read it three times so far. Sadly, I am really draggin on getting through King's seventh book in his Dark Tower series. I love his work very much, but the last few of this series have not hit the spot for me.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Kara. :)

Ted, maybe he should have spent more time hanging out with crayfish while he was writing the series. You never know. ;)

Palindrome said...

I'm pretty good at keeping my own voice but I have noticed that when I read someone who's good at say, atmosphere. My atmo scene will be that much better so I can totally see how reading everything will influence your writing in a good way.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hannah, Good point! It's important to keep your own voice. I didn't realize this when I first began writing and I edited away my voice to try and sound more "correct" (ie. like others in my critique group).

I guess the lesson I needed to learn was that other writers have much to teach, but I don't have to bury myself.

L'Aussie said...

Nothing like good reading to help good writing, but it is a bit of a worry about plagarism. If SK says it's a way to improve, then it must be..:)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hi L'Aussie. Thanks for stopping by. :)

I guess King's talking about style as opposed to actual words and plot ideas. Though I do have the habit of jotting down phrases from my favorite books. But I don't use them in my writing. I just sigh and dream of greatness. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...