Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Romp Through the Land of Copyright Infringement

For the six of you who subscribed to my other blog, I'm sorry to say it's gone. Technically, I'm not sorry to say it; I'm sorry it's gone. It was *gasp* an illegal blog. Specifically, its name was illegal. It shared the name of website/corporation or something- (not quite of their official status). Basically the name is their registered trademark. I understand why they asked me to remove it- legal mumbo-jumbo-yadda-yadda. I honestly didn't realize the coincidental name at the time I created the blog. I was just plugging in variations of what I wanted to convey and it was the first thing that wasn't taken. It wasn't my first pick.

They sent a very kind note. Too kind. My brain was a bit fried because our family suffered a sudden loss that week. Maybe that's why it took me a while to poke through the sweet padding (like a stinger in a creampuff) to figure out the gist of the note.

I won't post the note.

But...

Here is what I would have written to me:

Dear Imposter,

This is a stink letter. You won't enjoy one word of it. Delete your blog entitled, [redacted so I don't get my tail kicked]. I read your latest post about the recent death in your family. Sorry to rub salt in your fleshy pink wounds. Timing sucks, but I have to protect our company in case you when you write something completely stupid or wholly inaccurate and some poor dolt comes along and thinks you are us.

You understand.

Sincerely, blah-blah-blah


But I guess this is why I am not in public relations.

I may replace that blog with a new one. I saved the posts. Just don't want to think about it right now.

This was my second bout with copyright infringement in the last month. The first was on YouTube. They informed me that one of my homemade videos is banned in Germany because on the car radio in the background you can hear... hold on, let me look up the name of the singer... Adam Lambert. So, it seems that in Germany, if folks are allowed to watch my "Driving Through The Caldecott Tunnel" video, this guy's music sales will go down. This doesn't say much for the quality of MP3s in Germany if this video's audio quality is just as good.

Note: Book and song titles are not protected. That's why there can be many songs and books who share the same name. I suppose you could make your book title your registered trademark and stick that little R in a circle after it. I wonder what the rules are on that. Can I register any word or set of words? What about Apple? They are a company and yet I'm allowed to use the word "Apple" all the time. Apple Apple Apple. Can I call my blog Apple? Surely that's registered. Hmm...

10 comments:

Taylor Mathews Taylor said...

Wow. You're making international waves! Entire countries are banning your content! If it wasn't so incredibly annoying, it would be pretty cool. :-)

On another (much more serious) note, prayers for you and your family.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Taylor. You are sweet. I appreciate it. :)

Yeah, I guess the banning is kind of cool. Maybe I should add to the video's description, "Banned in Germany." LOL

karabu said...

You should totally put the blog back up under a new name. It was a nice blog.

Victoria Dixon said...

Yeah, the good news is, someone in Germany was WATCHING you! And putting "Banned" in front of almost anything is bound to be good promotion. LOL

Seriously, I'm sorry for your loss! I had several of those earlier this year and it's exhausting emotionally. It can be difficult to rise again. Take care of you and yours and God Bless!

Victoria Dixon said...

Oh, and one take on writerly blog titles is to put one up under your name. It's not copyrightable either and even if it were, you can certainly hold up your right to lay claim. :)

Maria Zannini said...

I might not be up to the latest laws but I honestly don't see how a company can tell you not to use a title for a blog name.

And what's with Germany? Do they really have that much time on their hands to police the background noise on a Youtube video?

Lisa Rusczyk said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thank you, Lisa. :)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hi Maria. Oh, I just saw your comment. Don't know how I missed it earlier. I guess if they did the paperwork and bought the name, they own it. Who knew? :p

Yeah, I don't know how Germany found me out. The song and artist weren't even in the vid description and it's not a good recording. They must have some fancy computer program that picks around in YouTube seeking out audio matches.

Well, it had to be Sony. They own the rights to the music. But they were okay with the video staying up. Guess laws are different in Germany. Strange.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Victoria, I thought I replied to your comment. Okay, I'm going nuts. Thanks so much for your kind words. :) I'm sorry you've had losses too. Troubled times at least remind us to hold dearly those we still have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...