Friday, September 24, 2010

Research Trip to Sonoma

Research is one of the more gratifying aspects to writing. I'm working on a project that is kinda-sorta set in California's early days. (It's a fantasy piece where time is funky, so it gets complicated.) My twins happen to be in fourth grade, the year to study California history if you're a California kid. So we took a trip to Sonoma to visit the Solano Mission and surrounding area and bathe in the juices of history.

Sadly, I had a battery malfunction and didn't get all the pictures I wanted. But here are a few highlights I did manage to snap.


Barracks of the Spanish soldiers next to the Mission


1853 Cherry Stoner

Stove at the historic Toscano Hotel



Clock at General Vallejo's House

A Bottle


Cannon

Unfortunately I didn't get any of the Mission itself. ...grumble grumble...dagnabit camera bateries...

11 comments:

Hannah Kincade said...

that always happens to me! I either forget my camera or run out of batteries or forget I have the camers.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yeah, it's such a bummer. Well, at least there are the memories.

L'Aussie said...

A research trip. Lovely. Pity about the malfunction, but these pics are great and interesting..:)

Missantrhopics said...

That cherry stoner is really bizarre looking. It's got this whole steampunked insect vibe going on!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, ladies. :)

Oh, yeah, the cherry stoner totally looks like it'll go running- no- *scuttling* on those metal legs.

Summer Ross said...

great pictures. I love old things.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Summer. Me too. :)

Mohamed Mughal said...

I love your first line: "Research is one of the more gratifying aspects to writing." I agree. Now that I'm back from break, I'm thinking that this post would make for a nice future Friday Friends :)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Mohamed! :)

Victoria Dixon said...

I feel your pain. My new camera died on me two months later in the middle of the Vaticano museo. Fortunately, I traveled with others and they were generous with their film. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Victoria. :)
Oh wow, good thing you had nice people with you on the trip.
I have a good friend who always has a camera. I swear, if not for her, I'd have so few pics of my own kids. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...