Friday, October 22, 2010

NaNoWriMo Is Coming To Take Me Away. Oh my!



Well, it's gettin' to be that time again. That moment when level-headed people transform into half-crazed lunatics who toss out reason and participate in... No, not Halloween. In NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).


Write a novel in a month? What is it you're smoking?

I failed utterly, last year. I shall fail utterly again, but that's okay. I'll do it anyway. And why? Because everyone else is doing it. It seems that everyone on Crackbook... (Oops, I mean Facebook ) is chattering about it. I'm not normally prone to peer pressure. In high school I looked like a hippy and played D & D and Warhammer and generally slouched around with a hodgepodge of individuals, some of whom are still friends. ... Wait, what was the point I was making? Hmm, never mind.




Last November, I wrote maybe a chapter or two of "The Last Guy on Earth Who Isn't a Zombie." Then, I went on for months after, writing page after page of drivel- flat characters, stilted dialogue, meandering storyline. I'll stuff that into a locked file cabinet in a disused lavatory marked, "beware of the leopard."




I'll begin anew. It will be fresh, unsullied, electrifying, inimitable and an upsetting quantity of other adjectives. I'll go ahead and write the entire thing in one month. Perhaps it will still be crap, but at least I'll have only wasted a single month.

I do have two gems (aka- scenes I love) but I shall not give them a glance until NaNo is over. No point. Just shove forward, right?

p.s.

Why do I always want to say NaNoWriMo with the "Wri" part pronounced as "REE?" Defies logic.

13 comments:

Summer Ross said...

Best of luck to you! I'll be doing it, not because of peer pressure though- because i want to challenge myself and see how far I can get. :)

Marian Allen said...

My youngest daughter (now 27) and I will be doing NaNo together this year--not collaborating, but just boosting each other. This will be her first year at it, my third. It's exhilarating! I'll be doing the third book in a projected series, having done roughs of the other two the past two NaNos. The Plan is to get this one roughed out and then do a series bible and start polishing. Fingers crossed for all us NaNo addicts!

Marian Allen

Jennifer Hillier said...

Wishing you the best of luck! I'll be skipping NaNo this year because I'm almost finished my WIP and will time to recuperate, but I'll definitely be rooting you on. :)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

@Summer~ Thanks Summer. Good luck!

@Marian~ That's wonderful! Good luck to you and your daughter.

@Jennifer~Thanks so much. :) Good luck with finishing up your WIP.

If anyone wants to be NaNo buddies with me, I am Zombie Girl. Here is my page. http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/521404

Abby Minard said...

Good luck! I'm not doing it this year. This year, its called NaNoFinMo (national novel finishing month) for me! I just have to finish my book! But I hope I can use the encouragement of other writers talking about their own NaNo experiences to help me get motivated to finish.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Abby, you're brilliant! NaNoFinMo! LOL
Best of luck. :)

karabu said...

Hey, I'm going to try writing a novel as a means to procrastinate writing flash stories. So there.

And now you've made me see that I absolutely must have a 'Beware Of Leopard' sign for my filing cabinet. I don't know how I've gone so long without one.

Misery loves company. That's what NaNo is all about buddy!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

LOL Kara!

re: "Beware of the Leopard" Heck yeah! I snagged that off of Wikimedia Commons. I did a search for it, and there it was. Who knew! :p

Shelley Sly said...

Good luck with NaNo! I always say NaNo(REE)Mo, even though I know it isn't correct. That's just how the word looks to me. ;)

Mohamed Mughal said...

You say that you're going to fail utterly again this year. I disagree. You won't fail. Best wishes with the furious composition!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

@ Shelly~ Thanks. :) Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

@Mohamed~ Thank you so much. You are sweet! :)

Amie Kaufman said...

HHGTTG, woo!

Good work on joining in the NaNo madness--just plunge ahead and enjoy, and make sure you define success however it works for you. You never know, though!

Looking forward to updates as you make your way through November.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Amie! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...