Monday, November 29, 2010

Home Stretch of NaNo and Gunshot Wounds

There are just a couple days left of NaNoWriMo and I think I'll make it to 50,000 words, though the story probably won't be complete.

I learned a few things along the way-

I learned that I can write more in a day than I ever realized if I don't stop to think and self critique.
My nine-year-old twin daughters have a great (and gruesome) imagination and can be relied on to help when I'm stuck.
I learned a whole lot about gunshot wounds. Lydia Kang at The Word is My Oyster so sweetly answered my questions about that today on her "Medical Mondays" blog post. Thanks Lydia! :)

I think I'll have the skeleton of a pretty good novel in two days. It still needs a lot of work, but maybe it won't take as long as my first novel took to write. For Syzygy I agonized over scenes that had to later be changed or tossed out because of how the story later developed. For me, writing is like sculpting. It's far from linear. I constantly go back to modify scenes as I realize what's going to happen later on.

Here's a scene from "The Family Guy" which will make many of you laugh and some of you say "grrr."

8 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

That cartoon was hilarious. A little painful, yes, but entertaining! I'm glad I could help with your question. It was a good one!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Lydia. Your answer inspires me to shoot even more of my characters. LOL

Yeah, that cartoon is good. Too good. LOL Stewie reminded me of my husband.
:p

lbdiamond said...

Lol, love Family Guy!!!!

Great job with nano!!

karabu said...

I saw that episode, and wanted to smack Stewie, and wasn't thinking about trying to write a novel yet back then.
I'm getting so excited to read your novel with all its elephants and ballistics. Woo!
So far all I've had to look up were types of fractures.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Diamond. :)

Kara, just fractures? Come on, give us some blood and guts, girl! LOL ;)

Marian Allen said...

I loved Brian's reaction to Stewie--I know that wooden-faced barrier, when inside you're thinking, "This is not a writer speaking. But it will be a character." Then I plan my Google search: poisons painful "common household"....

Marian Allen

Missantrhopics said...

I'm always so impressed by anyone who does Nanowrimo! I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to give it a shot. November always seems like the busiest month! Congrats on your 50k words!!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Marian, you're brilliant! LOL Make those jerks into characters. :p

Thanks, Missanthropics. :) Yeah, I wish NaNo wasn't in November. What's up with that?
Oh, by the way, I saw your new Faceup blog. Lovely! I love your artwork. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...