Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How Many of These Books Have You Read?

Have you read more than 6 of these books? The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here.


I discovered this at Nissa's blog at The Lina Lamont Fan Club.
She found it at Fabianspace, Karina Fabian's blog.
Instructions: Bold those books you've read in their entirety.

Italicize the ones you started but didn't finish or read only an excerpt.



TAG! YOU'RE IT!

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (I really liked Northanger Abby though.)

2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (multiple times)

3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling

5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (I don't remember reading this and yet everyone else in my generation seems to have been assigned it in high school. Strange.)

6 The Bible

7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

8 1984--George Orwell

9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens (Sorry, I guess I read Hard Times while everyone else was reading this one)

11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott

12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

13 Catch-22 --Joseph Heller (I know I read it, but I don't remember what it was about.)

14 Complete Works of Shakespeare (Okay, I read a whole lot of Shakespeare, but not absolutely everything he wrote, so I can't say "complete" works.)

15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (When my oldest daughter was little I used to call her "Hobbit Girl")

17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk

18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (A friend gave it to me, but I haven't read it yet.)

20 Middlemarch - George Eliot (No, I read The Mill on The Floss)

21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell

22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens

24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

25 The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy--Douglas Adams

26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis

34 Emma - Jane Austen

35 Persuasion - Jane Austen

36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis

37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres

39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne (All of them! )

41 Animal Farm - George Orwell

42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving

45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery

47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood

49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding (Ah, my first lit. essay was about this book. I still have it.)

50 Atonement - Ian McEwan

51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel (My mother loaned me this book. I flipped through it.)

52 Dune - Frank Herbert

53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt

64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac

67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy

68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding

69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie

70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville

71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

72 Dracula - Bram Stoker

73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson

75 Ulysses - James Joyce (A prof. threatened to assign this to us once. I don't know why she thought it would be a punishment, but it caused me to never pick it up.)

76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome

78 Germinal - Emile Zola

79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray

80 Possession - AS Byatt

81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker

84 The Remains of the Day - Kazu Ishiguro

85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White

88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom

89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton

91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

94 Watership Down - Richard Adams (And also Tales from Watership Down)

95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute

97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare (I guess if you can't claim the complete works, they let you at least have Hamlet)

99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (Next question- Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp?)

100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

18 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I have read 12 of these books...my favorite on the list is "Little Women" I remember reading it over and over when I was younger until pages of the paper back were falling out.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I didn't read Little Women until I was an adult and read it when two of our girls were in middle school and I was homeschooling them. We loved it! :)
I can't wait for our littlest girls to read it.

rama said...

I have read 33 from the list. Right now I am reading " Unaccustomed Earth" by Jhumpa Lahiri, and it is pretty good.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Rama, that's a lot of books from the list!
I haven't read "Unaccustomed Earth" yet.

Amie Kaufman said...

I've read 44, some courtesy of taking both English and Literature as separate classes in high school, some courtesy of a degree in English Lit and some courtesy of a Reading Habit. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to make my way through the entire Bible, though I've read sections, and the complete works of Shakespeare is probably beyond me as well!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Amie, 44 is impressive!
Yes, for me too some of them were from college lit. courses. But many were just ones I wanted to read.

For instance, in all my years in school, why did nobody ever assign Tolkien? I read The Hobbit and LoTR several times but I never was given and excuse to write a paper on them. :(

karabu said...

30 for me. Although I feel like the series should count for each book. I'd probably be in the 50s or 60s at least then, since I've read an awful lot of Shakespeare, but probably not everything. And isn't "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" also part of "The Chronicles of Narnia"? Am I allowed to nit pick at the list? :)

There's several here that I keep intending to read but then forgetting about when another shiny book catches my attention. Maybe I need to make myself a reading list for the new year. . .

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hi Kara,
Yes, it is part of Narnia. Not sure why they singled it out. So, you get two points, but not a point for each in the series. And with Shakespeare, they have the "complete works" and then "Hamlet." Why Hamlet? What if you read everything but Hamlet? Macbeth isn't as good?
But I'm happy Hitchhiker's got on there. :)

Babydoll said...

I've read 8 of those, but a lot of them are on my list to read if I ever get the time...

G.~ said...

Only 8 for me. And To Kill A Mockingbird is on my nightstand; I'm 2/3 of the way through and 1984 is waiting on the bookshelf.

I love lists like this because sometimes I don't know what to read, so this helps a bunch.

Thank you and have a great New Year.

Medeia Sharif said...

I saw this list elsewhere and came up with forty-something, I believe. I was an English major and read many classics on my own.

Happy New Year!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Babydoll~ understandable. So many books- so little time. And more books being published every day! :)

G~ Very cool. I hope you like 1984. I think it was very interesting and disturbing.

Medeia~ Way cool!

Happy New Year Everyone!!! :D

Beth said...

I've read 51 on that list. Many of the classics I read in school, and many of the more recent ones I've read in my book group. What an interesting list!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Wow, Beth. That's cool! :)

StrugglingToMakeIt said...

Wow, I've actually read more than six of these! I've read 13 of them. Well, similar story for me re: Shakespeare's complete works. I took a Shakespeare class, and I bought the complete works, but...yeah. Definitely haven't read them all. Just most of the tragedies. And a few comedies outside of that class.

A shameful number of these are lingering on my TBR list, though. But I'm challenging myself to read 100 books this year, so maybe that will change. Ha, right now, I'm on book 2. So we'll see.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Niki, 13 is impressive! And I still think we should get points for each Shakespeare play we read and a point for every two or three poems.

Hmm, maybe we should earn a point for each book we write and TWO for each published. You'd be raking them in! :)

lbdiamond said...

Well, I've read 27 of these--not a lot, but not bad either! :D

Amanda Borenstadt said...

27 is very impressive! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...