Saturday, March 19, 2011

You Say email I say E-mail



The AP (Associated Press) just added 42 new guidelines. Among them is the change from "e-mail" to "email." I don't agree with this and neither does my spell-check! I always thought of e-mail as being a word akin to "X-ray" or "T-shirt." I personally like "E-mail." But nobody asked me.


Another change is that they are smooshing "web site" into one word--"website."

Links for you :)

-- http://mashable.com/2010/06/02/ap-social-media-guidelines/


-- http://www.apstylebook.com/



7 comments:

Joylene Butler said...

I'm lazy. I kinda like having one less symbol to type. LOL. I know, disgraceful. But you're right. It looks weird.

I'm checking out the link. Thanks, Amanda.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yeah, I suppose email is easier. LOL

You're welcome. :)

karabu said...

I think I like website, but email looks to me like it would screw up the pronunciation.

Tony said...

Boo! Hissss! I sorta hate how new rules are made and old ones changed all the time. But I guess i should be used to it having to teach MLA and all.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Kara~ I agree on both points. "Email" is just dumb because it looks like you should pronounce the "e" instead of saying its name.

Tony~ LOL Yep! But I guess it's just the way. I still remember the day I found out we were no longer supposed to put two spaces after a period. I thought, "When did that happen?!?!"

Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings) said...

I always say e-mail.
Maybe because I so send a lot of regular mail, :)

Somehow I always thought website went all together, I guess it's just and assumption

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I'm with you, Alex. Website always made sense. Guess it was never official even if it was common. I don't know why they chose email rather than e-mail, which is more common. Maybe they're terrified of hyphens.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...