Sunday, July 17, 2011

Deathly Hallows part 2, Magical Knitting, and a lot about Neville


Yes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 was all it could be and more. I think it stayed truer to the novel than any of the other movies. It was moving- both fast moving and emotionally moving. I walked out of there satisfied and anticipating when I could see it again!

There were differences between the movie and the book, to be sure. And I will pick at them, but I still LOVE it!

Snape

No idea why they put Snape and Voldemort in a boathouse instead of the shrieking shack for the death scene, but whatever. It worked. Though I think Snape needed more memory "tears." In the book one got the impression they were just oozing out of him- his ears and eyes.

I do know why they "shipped" (to use a fan fiction term) Luna and Neville. You know that wasn't in the books, don't you? And the nineteen years later epilogue clearly shows they don't end up together. However, it is a common pairing among fans.  A wizarding band, The Remus Lupins, even sing a song on the theme.

Neville

I got mixed reactions about the Luna/Neville pairing when I spoke to various friends who saw the movie and are great fans of the books. Some were happy and thought they always were meant to be together. One said there were hints in the books that Neville and Luna like each other. Others thought it was wrong to go against canon whether you thought they should be a couple or not. That sort of thing should be left to fan fiction. One woman I talked to, (and agreed with) said it was clear from the books that Neville didn't really like Luna at all and that they are all wrong for each other.

What do you think?

I know, I'm rambling on about a tiny detail.

They left out a bunch of background on Helena Ravenclaw. It was an interesting backstory, but it didn't matter much that it was cut. "The Prince's Tale" chapter was beautifully done. I'd have liked to see it longer and more of the details from the book, but again, not all of that was needed to move the main story forward.

I cried when Sirius, Remus, and Harry's parents appeared. Profoundly moving. The scene where Harry's walking through the great hall past the hurt and dead friends- amazingly sad.

Why did the Malfoys leave? I mean, I know their motive, but that wasn't in the book. They're supposed to be sitting in the great hall at the end. Oh well. No biggie.

Hey, Harry's supposed to repair his old wand with the Elder Wand. They forgot to do that! And he's supposed to put the Elder Wand back into Dumbledore's tomb. We don't see that in the book, but he says he's going to. He doesn't break it! Oh well, it's more final that way. But he should have repaired his old wand.
Elder Wand

Okay, other details I won't go into. I'll live with them.

And of course everyone cheered when Neville killed the snake. Everybody loves Neville. He's like the unsung hero. My niece told me J.K. Rowling should rewrite the Harry Potter series from Neville's perspective. Ha! I'd totally read it. :)

Hey, I loved how everyone cheered for Molly when she yelled at and then killed Bellatrix. Cool how Molly's the only one allowed to use naughty words. :) 

Moral of the story- Don't mess with a knitting mother's kids or you'll get your butt kicked.

Speaking of knitting- Lion Brand Yarn has some magical Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows inspired patters for the Molly Weasley in you.

13 comments:

Shelley Sly said...

Nice review! I agree with a lot that you said here.

Speaking of differences with the book, I did notice that the movies left out much of the storyline about Dumbledore's past, I guess to save time since it wasn't entirely relevant to the main story. And in the memory scenes when Dumbledore and Snape are talking, Dumbledore seems a bit... sharper than I imagined in the book, almost rude.

Anyway, very interesting. I'm fairly indifferent about Luna/Neville. I know it's not canon, but it doesn't bother me too much that they ended up together.

Kara Hartz said...

Just got home from seeing it! Wonderful! I agree with your review. Some of the little stuff bugged me, some didn't. I don't see the need to shove Neville and Luna together, but I know hollywood wants to add romance everywhere they can.
Kinda disappointed in those patterns. They could do so much more (but I kinda like the wand).
I found this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374033.0 And am considering making it for Halloween. It isn't often that you find a cool mom to dress up as!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Shelley. True about Dumbledore's past. That could have added another 45 minutes to the movie if they left all of that in.
There was just so much background stuff in the DH book that they couldn't include in the film. Too bad.

Thanks Kara. Wow, Molly's sweater. Way cool! About the other patterns- well what do you want, the actual invisibility cloak? ;) It should go all the way down though, doncha think? I mean if you're going to bother, may as well have the whole cloak.

Joylene Butler said...

Sorry I'm late. I didn't read everything, just skimmed over so as not to ruin the surprise. I'm probably not going to see it for awhile. Hate saying goodbye to wonderful characters. But I'll watch the movies over and over again. They're that wonderful. Thanks, Amanda for the sneak peek into some of the scenes.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks for dropping by, Joylene. Yeah, I'm a horrible one for giving spoilers. LOL :)

lbdiamond said...

I haven't seen this yet--maybe tomorrow!!! I'm at once happy and sad.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yeah, it's kind of bittersweet. It's really the end. Well, I mainly felt that way after the last book. Well, there's always J.K. Rowling's new web site, "Pottermore." :}

Lydia K said...

I've come to realize that I enjoy the movies separately from the books, so I'm okay with whatever adaptations they have on the screen. When I read HP, I see the characters differently.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Good point, Lydia. Movies are always different animals than their novel counterparts. It's probably best to keep that in mind.

They made (are still making?) a movie out of a book my sister and I both love, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret," and she worries they didn't do it right. I saw the previews and thought, even if it's not like the book- still looked like a cool film. Again- a different thing altogether.

nissa_loves_cats said...

My mom and I are planning to go see the movie in a theater even though we never see movies in theaters (unless Colin Firth is in them--- last 2 movies I saw were Mamma Mia and the King's Speech--- my take on both: not enough explosions....)

Instead of re-writing the Harry series from Neville's point of view--- how about alternating Neville's and Luna's? (And by the way the fact that Neville doesn't like Lune PROVES they are meant to be together.)

The word verification word is 'underin'. Are you wearing clean underins right now?

Amanda Borenstadt said...

LOL Nissa! Well, if you're mainly going to see Colin Firth movies, you will never have enough explosions.

The Luna and Neville Love Story. I like it. Luna's take on things is always refreshing.

And I suppose you're right. Neville's bugged by Luna because it's true love. I'm too eccentric for my husband and we're pretty happy.

Love those word verifications! :) Isn't it really weird when they seem to apply to the post or your comment?

Sharde(Shar-day) said...

Great review. Maybe when it goes to dvd they'll treat us to some extended scenes. One can hope.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Sharde,
Oh yay! I can't wait for the DVD. There should be some cool stuff! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...