Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Learning about Story Structure

Platform nine and three quarters

I want to share with you an amazing five part video of author Dan Wells talking about his 7 Point Story Structure System.



Interestingly, he begins with the resolution and goes from there. That makes a lot of sense to me. In my w.i.p. I know my resolution, so I'm already on the road to using his system. His focus is on the science fiction and fantasy genres and examines Harry Potter, The Matrix, and Star Wars, but he also looks at romance, horror and others.

It's well worth a watching and keep your notebook and pencil handy. I suspect he's tricking me into writing an story outline, something I thought I'd never do. But I like it!

My favorite part is when he says that our genre novel outline is supposed to sound cheesy. LOL

I first heard of his seven point structure on the Writing Excuses podcast. And I first learned of that nifty writing podcast at A Karabu Creation. I think Kara is the queen of podcasts. She knows all the good ones!

6 comments:

Joylene Butler said...

Supper's burning, so I'll be back. Thanks, Amanda.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yes, keep supper from going up in smoke first! :D

Kara Hartz said...

I wrote the 7 points for my WIP and I may not be as far off as I though I was. I didn't have an idea for the ending though, which might be why I felt I was flailing around. It was more fun to write up than I thought. Now I want to do subplots like he did with the Matrix!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Kara, subplots- yes yes!! Romance, betrayal. Take the blue pill... or is it the red one? I can never remember.

Medeia Sharif said...

Cool video. I'll watch it again because I honestly had other tabs open and I was half-listening. *bad blog reader/video watcher* Thanks for sharing.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Medeia~ I not only watched the videos -there are a series of them- I took notes. I'm a super geek, though. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...