Friday, October 21, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Usernames, Passwords, and Planning Oh My!

It's that time of year again. Oh yes, you guessed it. It's time to rattle your peanut sized brain and try to remember your username and password for NaNoWriMo- National Novel Writing Month November 2011! Yay!
Composing that bestseller

Or perhaps this will be your first year and you're still trying to pick a name: Bestseller Bess, Paperback Writer, or Inescapable Grief.

Unless you're the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-trousers type and you select such things (like blog names) as the form is open on your desktop while you're on the phone with your mother, your gaze darting around the kitchen. It lands upon the spice rack.

"How about dry mustard?"

"Dry mustard?"

"What are you making?"

"A blog."

...silence

"Mom, are you still there?"

Remember, your NaNoWriMo user name will be with you every November for the next 742 years. So, for instance, if you name yourself after the main character of your parody fantasy novel, Barry Hotter, and then toss that manuscript into the shredder, hoping never to be reminded of that flop, you may be sorry come next year.

Take it from me, Zombie Girl (cringe) choose wisely.

Okay, so now you've picked your name and password. The password was easy because you only have one or two you use for just about everything and you wrote them down on that bit of paper you keep in your desk drawer because who-the-heck cares about security, right?

What will you write? I'm sure you've got a brilliant novel in mind, or you wouldn't have bothered reading this far on a NaNo blog post. The real question is- will you outline before beginning or go with the flow? I suggest something in between. My literary hat simply flipped with glee when I learned about Dan Wells' 7 point story structure. You can read what I wrote about that here and watch the first of his videos on the topic.

Were I doing NaNo this year, I'd take my vision and map it out the using the 7 point structure, which leaves a lot of flexibility. But you may be an outliner and if that's the case, do it. I wish I were, but if I try to outline, I become distracted by the urge to yank out my eyelashes with a pair of tongs.
Could you meet your NaNo goal using a quill and ink?

But I'm not doing NaNo this year. I'm not. No no no no no.... 

Well, maybe.

 *Image sources embedded in image captions.


6 comments:

nissa_loves_cats said...

Oh crap it's NaNo....

I haven't quite figured out how I plan to fail at it this year. It needs to be more spectacular than my previous writing failures in some way.....

Maybe I could write it in Esperanto? Or at least partially in Esperanto?

My name on NaNo is Ilsabein, by the way. http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/ilsabein/novels/kolbe-konstruota-planedo

Amanda Borenstadt said...

My husband's cousin speaks Esperanto, so you'd have at least one reader. But I'm thinking you should go with ancient Klingon.

If you go with either of those, I'll for sure do NaNo this year. ;)

Hannah Kincade said...

I am doing NaNo, so if you do decide to join, my user name is hkgirl16.

Six days!!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Cool, Hannah. We should be NaNo buddies. :)
I guess I'll do it, though just to drive myself to write the second half of my WIP, which means I won't actually win this year.

lbdiamond said...

Hehehe! Nice post. Love the pics. ;)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...