Tuesday, November 29, 2011

NaNo Loser, Snakes, and a Shoe Shelf

I'm not winning NaNoWriMo this year. But, my floors are clean. I'd only hoped to finish my current work in progress, so really, I'd only needed about 30k words. But, alas, it's not to be.

You zip along and zip along only to discover that a portion of what you've written is only fit to line the snake cage. Oh goody, now I'll get blog hits from googlers searching for snake cage lining. Well, FYI, there appears to be pine shavings in the bottom of ours. (Random Helpful Hint 42)
James the snake eating a mouse

They're not our snakes. We're borrowing them from my nephew so my girls can learn all things corn snake-ish, such as, it costs over $8 to buy three mice once a week to feed them. No wonder dear nephew was so eager to let us foster them.

But back to NaNo. I began with a bang, neglecting housework, proper meals, even nearly forgetting to pay a bill or two, like a good NaNo'er should, but I couldn't keep it up. Today, in a fit of writer's block, I scrubbed the floors and put together a small shoe rack for the hall.
You can tell we live in California- flip flops at the end of November. :)

7 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Cool snake. And shoe shelf! I'm sure you'll finish your WIP, just try again without the pressure of Nano. And you've had Thanksgiving as well, haven't you?

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Yep, Thanksgiving. That purely American food extravaganza. You poor thing, so lacking in pumpkin pies! ;)

You're right. I'll finish. And it'll be better when I'm not writing in a rush.

Joylene said...

At least the snake is still alive. If it was at our house, I couldn't guarantee its safety. My DH is terrified of them. Silly, I know.

Amanda, I baked yesterday. I wasn't wearing my glasses and put 1 cup of hot water in when I should have put 1/4 cup. I drained the mixture and of course, all the butter ran out. DH is eating the cookies mixed in chocolate puddin with mashed banana. Interestingly, it looks ... yummy. I know, I'm weird.

Sorry about NaNo.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Joylene that actually sounds really good! Some of the best recipes are the result of mistakes or just making things up as you go. I'll throw something together and everyone says, "Make that again." Then I have to figure out what the heck I did! :)

My husband won't touch the snakes. He's convinced they bite.

Dark Heart 2011 said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* Fitra2009 *

Nisa said...

At least you were still productive! Maybe if you thought about the 30k in smaller chunks you can get it done this month. That's only 1k a day. Totally doable. (Well, if it weren't already the 6th, but you know what I mean,)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

That's true, Nisa! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...