Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Roper Steam Cycle and Why I'm Normal

I have super news. I'm normal. When I sprang the news on my husband yesterday, he expressed disbelief.

"No you're not."

Well you, dear readers, will believe me when I tell you I'm normal. I found out yesterday when I read this.


I've been wild about old motorcycles for a heap of years. Long ago I wrote a series of stories about a girl who rides a 1922 Banshee, a cool looking bike made for a limited time by a guy who later went on to work for Triumph.
1922 Banshee

But the Banshee wasn't steam powered. When I began my WIP Twelve Keys, I had an excuse to research steam powered motor bikes. Before yesterday already had most of the very pictures shown in the Roper article in my computer for my own reference. I also have sketches I've done of them, because that's what I do while brainstorming--draw my characters, though I'm a lousy artist.

When I saw that the Roper Steam Cycle was going to be auctioned off, my first thought was, "Can I have it?" My second was, "Wow, other people want it! I'm not weird."

When this word "Steampunk" came into my vocabulary, I was thrilled and amused. Don't you love when things you enjoy become popular? Steampunk marries cool clockwork and steam powered gadgets with science fiction and fantasy. But it's not new. And writers adding steampunk elements to their stories will benefit not only from reading Jules Verne, but from learning engine history and development, (and checking out in real life or YouTube some of these guys who actually have running steam engine cars and motorcycles.)

If this post was interesting, you may also enjoy this one.

By the way, this is one of the bikes my husband rides. And he thinks I'm not normal? I guess he should know. ;)
My husband on his recumbent human powered vehicle

11 comments:

nissa_loves_cats said...

"Roper Steam Cycle" - sounds like a setting on your waŝer or dryer.

(Waŝer? I forgot to unclick my Ek! button that I use to write the weird letters of Esperanto. Should read 'washer'.)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Gee, I wish my computer had an Esperanto setting or my washer had a Roper Steam Cycle setting! My world would be a better place indeed.

Mohamed Mughal said...

I had NO idea that you were a cycling fan. Cool :)

Joylene said...

Jumper cable cords, we must be related. I once owned a '49 Knucklehead. I loved that bike. Especially the looks boys would give me when I parked it out front of the pool hall. Ha, I lie. I only ever sat on the back. The thing was so heavy I couldn't even tilt it to one side without major injury.

Actually, Amanda, you look like a biker. How do you keep your hat on?

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks Mohamed. See, you learn something new every day! :)

LOL Joylene. Cool.
Actually I wear a full face helmet on the back of the motorcycle. It's very good for our marriage. We go on long ride dates and never talk. :p

lbdiamond said...

Hahaha! This is great!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Laura! :)

Lydia Kang said...

You and your hubs can definitely battle for who is more weird (weird in a good way, of course) :P. That steamcycle is so cool!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Ha-ha! :) Thanks, Lydia! :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I find it refreshing when someone does the exact "weird" thing I do. I also feel normal. :)

I've always been curious about those recumbent vehicles.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

LOL I know what you mean, Medeia. :)
So glad you stopped by. I should do a special post on my husband and his recumbents. He just bought a new one. Is there room in my garage? :p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...