Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Have You Ever Seen Your Character in the Flesh?

Sometimes I spot people--actors or ordinary people--who look like my characters. Sometimes I try to draw them, but I'm not an artist. My niece, Jasmine, an amazing artist, did an adorable depiction of Bea, from my urban fantasy Syzygy, for the cover art.



Now, my characters from Syzygy, are coming alive in a new way.

A few weeks ago I posted about a lady who created a Machimima, a short animated fan film, for Carol Kean's novel, Left on Stonehaven. She's now making one for Syzygy. She posted an update on her progress at her Machinima blog.

First gazing at my character, Finn, was like giving birth! Okay, not quite, but it was an oh-wow-I-can't-believe-it! experience to see him "fleshed out." Not having any sons, maybe the young males are more my babies than the females. I don't know. I recently watched that interview between J.K. Rowling and Dan Radcliffe and she said how moved she was when they chose Dan for the part of Harry Potter because she didn't have a son yet.

Sorry, I'm wandering off on a tangent.

Here's one of the pictures of Finn. To see more, you'll just have to visit Rhonda's Machinima Site.  You'll even get to see one weird picture of the skin process which reminds me of that stretched skin character from Doctor Who, Cassandra.

7 comments:

Mohamed Mughal said...

I like Jasmine's art!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Awesome. Thanks! I'll tell her. She'll be so pleased. :)

Joylene said...

First of all, what a small world. I know Carol. Second, I always post a headshot of my protagonist on my desktop so I can look at them during those difficult scenes. Adam Beach and Tina Keeper, Canadian actors, are my protagonists in my current WIP.

Great post, Amanda.

dolittlesaymuch said...

First of all, let me say that I post this comment with a very red face. Amanda, I knew about this blog. I did. I swear. But no matter how many times you may have tried to steer me to it, I undoubtedly misfiled the information as I have done so many times before. At least I didn't do to you what I did to my friend Odara. Once upon a time, she must have told me about her website. And about that same time, I evidently visited it and signed her guestbook. Months later, I was stunned to read something about her site and felt slightly hurt that she'd never told me about it. Yeah. You read that right. So directly to her site I surf, and clicked on the "sign guestbook" link. . .egads. You can imagine my shame.

But I'm here now! And I subscribed. May all the powers in the universe converge to ensure your new posts end up in my inbox, lest I have yet another brain fart and forget this blog all over again.

(Maybe I should consider professional help?)

Oh, and hi, Joylene. We've actually met (online) before, and I remember reading Dead Witness. I seem to have misfiled my memory of how it ended, though. I think I shall drop back into Valerie's world for a second visit.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Joylene, very cool! About your actor/charactors and it being a small world. Especially the web makes it even smaller. :)

Rhonda, don't even worry. :) I've got memory problems too. I think it's when all your focus is on one thing, every other thing is lost in the fog bank of... what was I saying?
LOL ;)

sadiesebastien said...

That's an awesome thought, to see one's character in the flesh. It has never happened to me, yet. Fabulous sketches.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Sadie! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...