Friday, December 30, 2011

Hugo Cabret and Automatons


I brought the twins to see Hugo. The movie was as wonderful as the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, about a boy in the 1930's living in the clockworks at a Paris train station. I can't remember when I've said that. It's different because the book had pages and pages of amazing drawings mixed with the narration. But they both have a place.


We didn't see it in 3D, but there was still that feel of movement through the train station and the clockworks. I think 3D glasses would have been inconvenient, actually, because I had tears in my eyes so often. It's such a bittersweet story.

The other nice thing about the story in film form- you get to see some original footage of the old old films such as A Trip to the Moon. I've watched it on YouTube, but something about seeing it on the big screen made it magical.

My girls and I were discussing if this was a fantasy or realistic story. Though it feels magical and quite steampunk, it's realistic, if you can imagine a boy living alone in a train station caring for clocks to be a reasonable situation. I do. :) Maybe there's a bit of magical realism in it. A new genre perhaps? "Steampunk Magical Realism."

I remember after I read the book, I searched out information about automatons. I'd like to share a cool video of one with you.

4 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

The book and movie sound awesome.

I just saw A Trip to the Moon on Youtube. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Happy New Year!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Happy New Year to you too, Medeia! :)

joylene said...

The movie sounds wonderful. I'm checking it out with my granddaughter as soon as I get back home. I'm on a mini-vacation slash book tour. There just aren't enough good films to take my grandchildren to without worrying about content. For instance, I suspect the War Horse isn't appropriate for kids.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Hi Joylene,
This is a super good movie for kids and I think you'll like it too.
I went into detail about kid appropriateness in my other blog. I only had one tiny nit, but it was minor.
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/2011/12/blog-hopping-i-went-hopping-at-some-of.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...