Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Broken Records, Oak Trees, and Oranges- Picture Your Setting.

A broken record and orange peel
Here are some photos the kids and I took on a hike one day to the open space, called Lime Ridge, near our house.

Sometimes we find weird stuff like broken records amid dozens of orange rinds. There's a story there, just don't know what it is. There's a writing prompt for you. Write a story explaining who left them there.

But typically we just enjoy the view, the plants, and wildlife.
Our house is down there. See it? To the right of the palm trees with a gray roof.
Fiona and Daphne under the oak

Oak Tree

looking up at the tree
That exact spot with the oak tree is in my W.I.P., Twelve Keys. I put a character under that tree when we first meet him. Does everyone use places from real life for their stories? Of course I often add or subtract elements. In place of a city, I put a river, but it helps me to picture the scene if I've been to a similar place. I guess that's why I'm writing a story set in California. Much of my first book was set in California too.

8 comments:

Kara Hartz said...

I once found a glove with the thumb cut off. The rest of the fingers were still there. I've been trying to think up a story for that one ever since I found it too.
Now we could combine our finds. . . maybe someone needed their thumb free for peeling oranges and moving the needle on their record player to the right song. . . or something.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

LOL That scenario works for me! :)

Nick Wilford said...

I tend to use fictional places that are a bit like other towns in the same area. I'd worry about getting details wrong if I wrote about a real place, or someone being offended for some reason...

I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! Details are at my blog. :)

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Good point, Nick.

And Thank You! :)

Joylene said...

Amanda, the photos are outstanding. I've written several stories that take place where I live. I also try to use settings of every place I visit. The only time I didn't was when I wrote about the Vietnam War. But I did have a critique partner, a vet, ask me when I'd been in-country. That was a huge compliment.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks, Joylene. :)

Wow, you must have done your homework to be that accurate. Awesome!

Laura Diamond said...

Isn't it amazing how certain objects (seemingly random) create inspiration?

I'm working on a story using my OLD house as the setting. Helps with visualization, LOL!~

Amanda Borenstadt said...

That's cool, Laura.

Speaking of old houses, I still dream about my childhood house. I guess it just stuck in my brain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...