Monday, May 21, 2012

Nifty Eclipse

Did you see the solar eclipse on Sunday evening? It was super nifty. You know that thing about not looking at the eclipse? That's good advice. Not satisfied with my pinhole eclipse looker thingy, I dared to peak at it. Just from behind my hand with my head turned sideways. I got a glimpse of it. Spectacular--with the moon mostly covering the sun. But boy what a headache and a lot of spots I had to endure for a long time after. Probably did serious damage to my poor eyes who already don't see so well.

They always say not to look at the eclipse or you'll go blind. As a kid, I was afraid to turn my face to the sky at all during an eclipse. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to look at the sun ever, not just during an eclipse, but I never worried about sky gazing during the day.

I heard that there's this amazing correlation between the relative sizes of the sun and moon and their relative distance from each other and earth that make them appear to be the same size in the sky and this is the reason the moon covers the sun so perfectly during a total eclipse.

I snapped some pictures near the end of it. They don't look very eclipsy. (Is that a word?) My camera isn't set up for sky gazing. But they look kind of cool. I'll post three of them.

6 comments:

lbdiamond said...

Wish I could've seen it!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Darn, I forgot. But come to think of it. I don't think it was visible anyway. Too many rain clouds. Excellent pics, Amanda.

Anthony Rapino said...

I wish i could have experienced it as well, sounds awesome!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone. :)

Kara Hartz said...

I confess, that I peeked the same way. A quick look, then away. My junior high science teacher would be so disappointed in me.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Kara, we're such rebels. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...