Friday, June 29, 2012

Towel 42 and Bad Grammar

We have a mishmash of a post today.

TOWEL


I got this nifty towel, which I won from the Crash Plan Facebook contest. You can see all the entries here. Towel Day, which is celebrated every May 25th, commemorates the life of author Douglas Adams, of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame.

BAD GRAMMAR

Recently Grammar Girl posted about "Bad Grammar, Good Fiction." If you're not familiar with Grammar Girl, please go to her page, find her podcasts on iTunes, and check out one of her books, such as The Ultimate Writing Guide for Students. Her real name is Mignon Fogarty. Her post on "Bad Grammar, Good Fiction" was spot on. She points out how, "...works of fiction, can benefit from throwing the so-called rules out the door."

I find that to be true. Though I adore learning about proper grammar, I've found that most of my characters (like most people) do not always speak correctly. When I create a character who speaks correctly all the time, and uses highfalutin words--like the pink unicorn does in my WIP--it says something her, just as old-west slang says something about another character in that WIP.



7 comments:

DL Hammons said...

Thanks for letting me know about Grammar Girl. I can use all the help I can get! :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Amanda, thanks for the link. I can always use a new one. Here's another one that simplifies the confusion, GrammaBook.com.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

You're both welcome! :)

Joylene, thanks. I'll check it out. I need all the grammar help I can get!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The thing is, grammar changes with time. What is proper and correct for a generation is not for another ... innit? (English slang in UK).

And another thing ... I've used the word verification examples we get here when I play Scrabble. And I always lose. Where's the gramma (!) there?

God bless.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Victor, you're right. I took a history of English course in college. It was one of the most fascinating classes.

Some of those word verification things are too funny! :)

anarchist said...

Hi,

Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

A while ago I put out an ebook of my writing, called The New Death and others. It's a collection of short pieces, mostly dark fantasy.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog.

If so, please email me: news@apolitical.info. Let me know what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy.

You can download a sample from the ebook's page on Smashwords:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126

I'm also happy to do interviews, guest posts, or giveaways. Just let me know what you'd prefer.

Yours,
James.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

Sure, Anarchist. I'd love to read and review your book. I'll email you. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...